Saturday, September 29, 2012

Where theres a William, theres a way!

So we did it again!

William decided to come right on time. Sept 27th was his original due date and he showed up right on schedule.

At 9am I had my first contraction and felt a little unsure whether to call Ryan out of work just yet. We had been told that second babies tend to come a little faster than the first and since James' delivery was so quick, we were a little worried William might just fall out at the first sign of labor. I waited and had another contraction about 10 mins later and then a another 10 mins after that. I figure at this point that labor was a GO! so I called Ryan and Rachel, our doula, so we could get our ducks in a row. Next my mom was called so she could watch James while were at the birth center. Ryan came home around 10am and Mom arrived shortly after.

We left for the birth center around 11am with contractions coming about 5 1/2 mins but they still weren't really intense just yet. We got set up in our room and the midwife checked me out. I was 6-7 cm dilated. She couldn't believe I wasn't having more intense contractions. We just hung out in the room while they got the tub set up for us and I knitted through my contractions.




I decided around 1:30 I was ready to relax in my birth tub. I got in and after about 25 mins my contractions started to get a little rough. Now was time to focus at the job at hand. Luckily I had a great husband, doula and team of nurses at my side to cheer me on. It wasn't long before I was pushing and the midwives could tell by the sounds I was making that William's arrival was close at hand. 

I began pushing at 2:10 and my midwife predicted William would be there by 2:35. She was only off by 4 mins. 30 minutes of grunting and pushing later, baby William popped into the world and was safely resting on my heavy beating chest at 2:39pm. 

Within seconds he let out a yell to let us know his lungs were working and he was healthy as can be. He weighed in at a whopping 9lbs 3oz and was 21" in length.

The water tub was best! My labor was so relaxing and smooth. I felt so focused and in control of my contractions and got through them gracefully. While it hurt, of course, it was a much better experience overall. I dare say it hurt about half as bad as the first time around. If I ever talk Ryan into another baby, I would definitely do it again. :)

Later James came to visit and he was excited and very helpful. 




As usual, our stay was very short and it wasn't long before we had William dressed and we were ready to go home.

Now we are all peacefully at home and doing great. We couldn't be happier to have him here finally!





No comments:

Post a Comment